Chickpea potato curry is one of the easiest and most comforting meals that you can try. Anything that calls for curry, is always a good idea.
While having a chat with a business friend, we laughed at how she had chickpeas at home. The problem was she didn’t know what to do with them. And my first idea was the chickpea stew.
But then I remembered the chickpea curry. A while ago the curry got a nod from some of the most wonderful people who then decided to try it as well.
A lot of times, we assume food never offers flavor when focusing on plant-based recipes. This recipe will surely offer you a different outcome.
Chickpea Potato Curry
The best option is to use canned chickpeas. This is a plant-based recipe. If you are on a plant-based path for the month of January, you may want to try this recipe.
What To Serve With The Curry
You can serve the curry with nan bread. I usually enjoy it with rice, but even here you have options. You can try basmati rice, brown rice, or white rice.
Chickpea Potato Curry
- Frying pan
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large frying pot, add one teaspoon of olive oil.
- Then add the onion, ground coriander, and ground cumin and let it cook for 3 minutes. Add splashes of water when needed to avoid the onion getting burnt.
- Then add one teaspoon of garlic and a tablespoon of ginger and continue to let it cook.
- Then add one teaspoon of garam masala, two teaspoons of turmeric powder, and half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Add the potatoes to the pot with one and ½cups of water
- Lower the heat on the stove, and allow the potatoes to cook for about 15 minutes
- Once the potatoes are well-cooked, add 1 cup of frozen peas and chickpeas. Make sure you rinse the chickpeas as soon as you open the can.
- Add one can of coconut milk.
- Stir all the ingredients together, add 2 cups of baby spinach and allow it to cook for a minute or until the spinach has melted into the curry.